Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Gift of an Angel


My favorite old ornament is this little angel. Way back when I was a little girl in the First Grade, at Christmas time we exchanged names. I don't remember whose name I had, but a  thin, white haired girl named Murlon Whitt had mine.  I was so excited as the teacher, Mrs. Lemley, began passing out our Christmas gifts. I watched as the other kids opened their gifts, and one thing in particular caught my eye and I knew I really really wanted that box that opened up like a book and held lots of rolls of Life Savors. Back in those days, store bought candy was never found in our house (except for the Hershy bars that were kept for my dad's lunch bucket) and the thought of having all of those Life Savors would be the very best Christmas gift.  When my name was finally called, I looked at my wrapped gift and knew that it wasn't the pretty box of Life Savors, but maybe it was a new box of Crayola Crayons and a coloring book (like I had brought for my gift.) I unwrapped the gift and I remember trying not to cry but I was soooooo disappointed.  For my gift was this silver plastic angel ornament and a handkerchief.  What kind of gift was that? I know I did not show any gratitude toward that little girl. By the time I stepped off the bus and ran to the house, I was ready to explode and I did.  I cried and I knew even then that I was truly acting like a spoiled ungrateful little 6 year old.  After I vented, my mom reminded me that Christmas is about giving and not receiving...that Murlon had given me the best she had to give and that she had very little to give for she lived with her brother and grandmother in what used to be a chicken house.   I understood then that she probably gave up something for herself in order that she could give me a gift. I can remember feeling ashamed for how I acted and I realized that giving is important, but also important is receiving with gratitude whatever the gift.


I still have the ornament as you can see. Every year I remember Murlon  as I place the little angel on my Christmas tree and tell my daughters and grandchildren the story of the little angel that has watched over everyone of my Christmases since that day.

4 comments:

Leeann said...

I remember when you told me story when I was little. It was a lesson that has stuck with me over the years....and I know for sure that I had to remember once or twice when I received a gift or two.

Jean Ann said...

And I hope you will share the story of the angel with Rai and Carson too.

~~ said...

Jean Ann--love this story!!! That lil' plastic angel is priceless to u and more than that has taught many many lessons. Thanks for sharing this story--it made me really stop and think about the reason we celebrate CHRISTmas!!!! Again~~thanks!!!!

Angela Biggs said...

Jean Ann, that is a beautiful story and such a wonderful way to teach our children and grandchildren with stories from our own life!! Thank you for sharing!