Sunday, December 4, 2011

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas!


Thanksgiving has been probably my most favorite holiday, but it seems that the "world" won't let me enjoy it like I used to.  Being able to spend a day and to concentrate on all the blessings in my life IS a blessing and I refuse to put up my Christmas Tree until my day of thanksgiving is over.  Im afraid though that before long Thanksgiving Day is going to be lost in the Festival of Buying that is now beginning on that day.  Why can't we all just slow down for one day and be thankful for family, friends, health, and our Savior Jesus.

This year I seem busier than ever (and more tired) and decided if I was putting up the Christmas tree by myself, it wasn't going to be the big tree with all of my precious ornaments. Now if someone else wanted to put it up that would have been wonderful. So I started looking for volunteers.  Daughter #2 said, "Oh yes, it's got to be the big tree.  I'll help you." 
     I said, "No, will you do it?"
     She replied, "Yes, I'll help." 
     I then explained a little more clearly, "No, I mean, will you do it?" 
     I must not have made myself understood because she then said, "Well, yes....I'll help." 
    Then I knew I had to be very much more explicit with my words.  "No, I mean will you put up the big tree by yourself?"
    I wasn't a bit surprised by her reply, but I think she was by my request. "Oooh, no.  I'll help you though."
So that is how we ended up with a tree (that's pre-lit and no need for all of those lights to be strung) that's only 4 1/2 feet tall and sits on a table.  But instead of three days of me dragging-out, decorating, and then putting empty containers away, I was finished and cleaned up in about three hours. I felt like a liberated woman!

Since this "baby" was going to be all mine, I decided to leave the Hallmark and even the homemade ornaments in the Rubbermaid containers and use only the ones that I felt like using this year. (Plus this little tree didn't need so very much.) I always wanted to do just crystal ornaments so that was my #1 decision and second, I had to have my ornaments that connect me to my family and younger self. So on my tree went crystal angels, icicles, birds, and hearts. Along with these went bubble lights. I have had these put away for years and never used them because they just didn't look right on the big tree. They may not look right now to anyone else, but I LOVE them.  They make me so bubbly.  I have always liked red beads so they went on, as well as two special ornaments from my childhood.  I will have to tell the story on that old angel, but that is another day.  Around the base of the tree are other connectors to my life.  But more about these things later. 

2 comments:

Angela Biggs said...

"Your" tree looks very pretty and it is good for you to feel liberated!!! Enjoy!!

~~ said...

I love love love "YOUR TREE" bubble lights and all!!! I look forward to reading the story about the angel and the 2 special ornaments as well as the memories that surround the base of the tree!!! Great writing!!!