Saturday, October 1, 2011

Bye Bye Summer 2011

    Summer is gone...boo hoo.  Even though I have come to love the beautiful autumn days, I miss Summer.  What is it about Summer that we yearn for those days to return even when the memory of scorching hot days and high humidity are still vivid in our minds. Does it go back to when we were kids and free from school and could play all day and into the dark?   Those summertime memories of fun, catching lighting bugs, playing hide and seek evolve into memories of long afternoons at the pool, summer dances on the school blacktop, convertible rides, and the county fair. Helping my grandmother work in the garden is a special summer memory. As I work in my small garden and  in my flower beds, I always think of Grandma. Who would have thought that all those years ago a chore that I was made to do could now be one of my greatest joys of a summer day?

The last flowers of Summer 2011
    Since there is a possibility of frost tonight, I covered my blooming and yet to bloom Mums and roses with sheets.  My yard looks like a party of ghosts lounging around. I should have taken a picture (but it was too cold) because all of those mounds of bumpy ghosts made me LOL.

1 comment:

WenDee said...

oh my~~what beautiful flowers!!! i just love them...you must really have a green thumb!? i am glad that your getting a little more joy from the roses~~they are just stunning...i would love to see a picture of your yard and the ghost party~~LOL!!!!