Friday, August 26, 2011

Grit Newspaper and a Good & Easy Summer Favorite

Click here to enlarge image and see more about item M7353: GRIT  newspaper - August 1 1971

Years ago, and I do mean years, my family would buy the Grit newspaper when someone (don't remember who) would come to our door selling it.  Back then, everyone read The Grit. It was put together, size-wise, like the Enquirer at the grocery check-out, but it was so much better. It had farm news, recipes, sewing patterns, puzzles, comics and a bunch more of miscelleous stuff that I don't remember. If it had entertainment land gossip, it went over my head. I hadn't thought about the Grit in years until yesterday.  All of a sudden I realized that I had not made my daughters' favorite summer recipe....STRINGY NOODLES
     It was our first summer of being married. Although we lived in town, I was still reading the Grit.  (There's probably a saying that would relate to this...like ... "you can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl".  Anyway I found the recipe in the Grit and I could see "good" and "easy" written all over it.  And that it is! I have to admit Stringy Noodles is one of my favorites too, because it is sooo easy (if you have all the ingredients on hand. I had to run to the store to get them yesterday. How could I not have such basic ingredients!).   Anyway with a plate of tomatoes and stringy noodles, we know summer is here.
Stringy Noodles:
Cook according to pkg directions enough noodles for your meal
Drain noodles and mix/stir in 1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup
     a pkg. of shredded mozerella cheese, and meat of choice, diced or chunked.
    (I usually use the pkg. beef or some left-pver ham),
Stir all of the above together and heat through OR put into a baking dish (can
    add bread crumbs dotted with butter to top) and bake till bubbly. 
Serve with sliced tomatoes.
          BTW, since the Grit came to mind, I had to Google and see if it still existed and surprise! it does.  I need to check and see how much a subscription is; I need another "good and easy" recipe and the Grit just might have it.

4 comments:

Angela Biggs said...

Jean Ann, I have a memory of seeing the Grit, but I don't remember when or where! I will ask my Mom & Dad about it!! Love, love, love your writings!

Angela Biggs said...

Jean Ann, I have a memory of knowing about the Grit. Don't know how or why! Will ask my parents! Love your blog!

lLeeann said...

I always wondered where the "Stringy Noodle" recipe came from. Now I know :) I thoroughly enjoyed my Stringy Noodles last night with 3 tomatoes out of my garden.

I am ready for another round....hint, hint!

Thanks Mom!

WenDee said...

Well---I have finally discovered~found your blog!!! I love to read your writings!!! Your a natural and should write a book or 3!! Really...you should!!! I have never heard of the grit or the noodles?? I am thinking I might just like them and will probably give them a whirl this next coming week. I will let ya' know how they turn out. Again--thanks for inviting me to rear your blog!!! I feel honored to be a reader/follower. Have a great holiday weekend!!!

WenDee